ArtPrize 09-Open Water no.24 by deviant_anomaly
ART PRIZE 2009-0032 by RichardD72
The first-ever ArtPrize in Grand Rapids has ended with Open Water no. 24, a 6′ x 19′ oil painting by Ran Ortner being chosen as the winner by public vote from 1,262 artists who exhibited at 157 venues across the city. A former pro motorcycle racer, Ortner will receive a quarter of a million dollars for his finish. The Freep reports:
Ortner said he was stunned by his win. â€œWow. Exhilarating, captivating, ridiculous. Can’t get my head around it.â€
It means a lot to him that those choosing his work were not professional art critics but people who were moved by his work. â€œThere’s been a heart connection here,â€ he said.
And it has been good for those who voted, Ortner said. â€œAll of a sudden, those who know nothing about art have an opinion that matters,â€ he said. â€œIt really has a life larger than anything anybody anticipated.â€
ArtPrize 2009 Winners
- Ran Ortner â€“ Open Water no. 24
- Tracy Van Duinen â€“ Imagine That!
- Eric Daigh â€“ Portraits
- David Lubbers â€“ The Grand Dance
- Bill Secunda â€“ Moose
- Nessie Project â€“ Nessie on the Grand
- John Douglas Powers â€“ Field of Reeds
- Sarah Grant â€“ The Furniture City Sets the Table for the World of Art
- Jason Hackenwerth â€“ Ecstasy of The Scarlet Empress
- Michael Westra â€“ winddancer 2
You can get some more links to coverage at Who won ArtPrize? on the ArtPrize blog and stay tuned to absolutemichigan.com/ArtPrize for news about ArtPrize 2010!
Check out this video below for some scenes from the Winners Celebration – the close of this dance number is really impressive!
More videos can be found at ArtPrize 2009 Absolute Michigan.