There are two official Governor’s Residences in the state of Michigan. One is in Lansing and the other, a summer residence, is on Mackinac Island. Both residences are owned by the state of Michigan and are maintained with private donations.
The Governor’s Lansing residence was built in 1957 for Howard and Letha Sober, who donated it to the state in 1969. American architect Wallace Frost, who was known for traditional architecture, designed the residence. The contemporary residence was a departure from his usual style. A garden room was added in the mid 1970s. The residence sits on approximately four acres in the Moores River Drive neighborhood of Lansing. Governors who have lived in the residence during their office tenure are William Milliken, James Blanchard, John Engler and Jennifer Granholm.
The summer residence on Mackinac Island was built in 1902 and is a three-story structure located on a bluff that overlooks the Straits of Mackinac. The home features eleven bedrooms, nine and one-half bathrooms and a full basement. The interior features yellow pine, while the exterior is constructed of Michigan white pine. The house retains many original fixtures and furnishings from the original owners. Since the first official function in 1945, Michigan’s governors have used this home to host important events with national and state leaders. The house was named to the National Register of Historical Places in 1997.
You can learn more about both residences from The Governor’s Residence Foundation (includes a photo gallery).
Absolute Michigan will be featuring more Michigan Historic Homes all month!