This impressive Second Empire style home with mansard roof sheathed in tin was constructed in 1875 for Jay Chandler (1850-1884) and his young bride Frances. This home has an open, two-bay porch along the front . The brick walls are covered with clapboard siding and a triple-bay porch with a balustrade of turned spindles and finials. The interior of the house features mahogany paneling, carved mantlepieces and period furnishings. The Michigan Historical Marker reads:
Lucius M.Wing (1839-1921), Civil War captain, county sheriff, and prominent businessman, purchased this residence in 1882. That same year he served a term as mayor. Making notable contributions to the industrial, financial and social life if the city, he was the long time president of the local bank, a manufacturer of cigars and the founder of the Bon Ami Social club. The house remained in the family for three generations until acquired by the Branch County Historical Society in 1974 for use as a historical museum.
The Wing House Museum is located at 27 South Jefferson in Coldwater. There is no official web site but you can get directions and other details from the Michigan Historical Markers web site or call them at 517-278-2871.
More Michigan Historic Homes on Absolute Michigan.