UPDATED: February 26, 2006
Feb 26, 2006: River Rant is indeed ranting today about the Zoo, imagining how former Detroit Mayor Coleman A. Young might have handled the zoo issue. It’s also a four-star look at one of Michigan’s legendary political figures.
Feb 25, 2006: The Detroit News reports that on Friday afternoon, the council postponed discussion of the Detroit Zoo until Monday after receiving a revised version of a plan presented by Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick’s administration to turn the daily operations of the zoo over to the nonprofit Detroit Zoological Society.
On February 18, 2006, the Detroit City Council voted 7-2 against a plan to transfer the zoo’s operations and most of its funding to the nonprofit Detroit Zoological Society. The transfer would have made the zoo eligible for $4 million in state funding but now the zoo is reportedly in danger of closing.
- Council declines to give up zoo control … but says city cannot afford to keep open (Detroit News)
- Council members defend zoo vote, hope for revisions to plan … (Crain’s Detroit Business)
- The Future of the Detroit Zoo … audio feature from Dustin Dwyer (Michigan Radio)
- Zoo fiasco shows how quickly Detroit forgot XL lesson … Daniel Howes says Detroit’s dysfunction is so deep many don’t know it’s even there (Detroit News)
- Animals, kids & business … Zoo provides “unique educational experiences that even the best of our public and private schools simply cannot on their own” (Patricia E. Mooradian editorial in Freep)
- Detroit City Council Decides the City Doesn’t Need a Zoo … author adopted a penguin, wonders about its fate (Detroit Wonk)
- FIVE THINGS: About the Detroit Zoo … accidental origins, first “barless” zoo, Penguinarium, 1/2 million elephant rides, Wanda & Winky (Freep)
- Detroit Zoo web site … now featuring “Macaroni Penguins“