Before we suggest a few ways to beat the heat, we’ll set the mood with Motown’s own Martha Reeves & the Vandellas who started at the Motown office in Detroit as William Stevenson’s secretary and was also charged with supervising Stevie Wonder during office hours and singing occasional backing vocals. Berry Gordy was impressed with her talent, and within a short time Martha And The Vandellas were one of Motown’s most successful recording outfits and charting with hits like “Nowhere To Run”, ”Dancing In The Street” and “Heatwave”. Lots more at her site, missmarthareeves.com and Wikipedia.
OK, so jumping out of your chair at work and dancing? That’s not gonna help.
1. The office does offer a strategy though. With highs today in most of Michigan into the upper 90s and a chance of topping 100 on Thursday, air conditioners are one of your best friends. FOX-17 offers some tips for maximizing their effectiveness including drawing the blinds so they don’t have to work as hard. If your workplace has A/C, today is probably a good day to work late.
2. Fortunately, Michigan has its own A/C in the form of 300+ named rivers, over 11,000 lakes (take THAT Minnesota) and the big ones: Lake Michigan, Lake Huron, Lake Erie and the best lake for a day like today, mighty (cold) Lake Superior. The water temperature in Superior by Marquette today is in the 60s – maybe it’s time for a trip to the U.P.! Even if you can’t make it, Michigan boasts tons of parks with water access, so cut out to the beach or float down a river today. Sunscreen is of course, a must.
3. Speaking of water, the Freep reminds us to drink lots of water in a cool feature that includes photos of how some Metro Detroiters are beating the heat. Water can get a little old after the 10th glass, so try one of my favorites – make a batch of lemonade and add some Michigan tart cherry concentrate for a tart & refreshing drink!
4. Have you felt guilty for not taking advantage of Michigan’s incredible variety of museums & libraries? This week is a perfect time to take some time to explore with family & friends. Pure Michigan has a nice list of Michigan museums and you can get lots more art museums and historical museums & libraries from Absolute Michigan!
5. At the end of the day, it’s almost impossible to avoid the heat on a day like today. A good piece of advice is remember February and revel in it!
Let us know other ideas to beat the heat in Michigan in the comments, and if anyone out there has a heat-beating product, tell us about it below. If you want, email me and we’ll give it away to our email list!