I realize that we in Michigan seem to be asking for a lot of stuff lately: auto bailouts, people to listen to Tim Allen and come visit us, a football team that can win a game, etc.
However, I thought it might be worth writing a little list out in case you were wondering what to get us.
- A little patience to go with that auto bailout. We understand that the Big Three have been anything but proactive in turning their companies around but it does look that with cars like the GM Volt and the Ford Fusion hybrid, they are headed down the right path.
- Some discussion about just what’s wrong with providing health care for people. The car companies are being bashed for providing health care and benefits to their employees. At one time, this was the highest expression of the American dream, but somewhere along the line it became something stupid or outright evil. Why is this? …and why isn’t it wrong when the providee is a US Representative or Senator?
- An owner who cares enough to hire a GM who gets it. Granted, this isn’t a weighty concern in the broader scheme of things, so think of it as a stocking stuffer. If it’s not too much trouble, could you bring Mr. Ford just a glimmer of judgment that would allow him to hire a GM of the caliber of Dumars or Dombrowski?
- The wisdom and courage to protect our water. The Great Lakes and Michigan’s water are facing an army of threats: pollution, sulfide mining, diversion and invasive species. It will be tempting to sell our water out to buy our way out of our current problems. When we have sold and ruined it, however, we will have less than nothing.
- A little realization for all of us on what we do have here in Michigan. I think we all have a tendency to get so down about what’s going wrong for us here in Michigan that we forget the amazing bounty we have been blessed with. If you seek a pleasant peninsula, look about you – these are not empty words, and even in these dark times, we have a lot to be thankful for.
Please add anything you’re hoping for below and we at Absolute Michigan hope that you and yours receive a bounty of blessings this holiday season.