Interlochen Public Radio’s Peter Payette reports that the state of Michigan and lighthouse preservation community have been wrangling for years over the terms for taking abandoned offshore lighthouses from the Coast Guard and preserving them.
Peter visits the DeTour Reef Light (between Drummond Island and the mainland at the mouth of the St. Mary’s River) to explore the challenges surrounding the preservation of Michigan’s most remote lighthouses.
Listen to Offshore Lights Need Owners from IPR News Radio and also:
- DeTour Reef Light Preservation Society – information about the light, its preservation and the very cool volunteer light keeper program that allows you to spend the weekend at the lighthouse.
- DeTour Reef Light from Terry Pepper’s Seeing the Light – simply the best resource for Great Lakes Lighthouses.
- Great Lakes Lighthouse Keepers Association – dedicated to preserving lighthouses on the Great Lakes
- Map of the DeTour Village / Drummond Island area from Google Maps – couldn’t find the light but check out those boats!
- Also see Absolute Michigan keyword “lighthouse” for tons more links.