The central portion of this handsome Victorian home was built in the late 1850s. Several prominent Flint families lived in it before Robert J. Whaley purchased it in 1884. Whaley a local lumberman and banker, remodeled the house extensively. Three bays, the library alcove and a west-end addition were among the exterior changes. The interior was enhanced by adding ornate woodwork and colorful tiled fireplaces. In 1925, Whaley’s wife endowed the house, making it a home for elderly women. In 1975 it became the Whaley Historical House Museum.
On their history page you can learn about the Whaley family including patriarch Robert Jeremiah Whaley (1840 – 1922):
R. J. Whaley served as Citizens Bank’s president for over forty years. His 1886 loan to the Flint Road Cart Company eventually led to the creation of General Motors in 1908. William C. Durant’s bank book which records the loan is currently exhibited at WHHM courtesy of Citizens Bank.
There’s some cool old portraits there and even information about the family pets. The photo is part of Sarah’s Whaley Historical House Museum set and also her Downtown Flint Houses. She has helpfully placed it on Flickr’s photo map!