The July/August 2009 issue of Michigan History tells the stories of Michigan’s three remaining covered bridges. Back in the days when couples rode in a horse and carriage, covered bridges were known as â€œkissing bridges.â€ The walls provided privacy and the horse was reined to a stop while the pair took advantage of their opportunity for romance. Today, those attracted to our covered bridges are more likely to be nostalgic than amorous.
Also in the July/August issue are stories about women who served in the Second Michigan Volunteer Infantry-one of whom was disguised as a man; an adventure of â€œflying boatâ€ pilots who raced around the state in 1913; and the tragedy of two ships stranded in the worst storm ever recorded on Lake Michigan. The history of the town of Calumet, Herbert Henry Dow’s creation of the Dow Gardens and the story of European immigration to the Upper Peninsula round out the issue.
For more information or to order a subscription to Michigan History call (800) 366-3703 or visit www.michiganhistorymagazine.com. Individual copies can be purchased at Barnes & Noble, B. Dalton and Borders bookstores throughout the state.
Michigan History is published by the Michigan Historical Center, part of the Department of History, Arts and Libraries. Dedicated to enriching quality of life and strengthening the economy, the department also includes the Library of Michigan, the Mackinac Island State Park Commission and the Michigan Council for Arts and Cultural Affairs.
Cover Photo: The Fallasburg Bridge crosses the Flat River in Kent County. Built in 1871, it is one of Michigan’s oldest covered bridges.