Billed as “An American Restaurant in an American Palace”, The Whitney is located on Woodward Avenue in an 1894 mansion constructed of rare South Dakota Jasper for lumber baron David Whitney, Jr.:
The 21,000 square foot home has 52 rooms, 10 bathrooms, 218 windows, 20 fireplaces, a secret vault in the original dining room and an elevator. Construction took four years at a cost of $400,000.00. The inside of the house is as impressive as the outside. A grand staircase dominates the Great Hall, that is elaborately adorned with a bronze balustrade and is richly illuminated by colorful Tiffany stained glass panels on the second and third floors. The most impressive room, the Great Hall, is dominated by an ornate mantelpiece which holds an antique bronze clock.
In this many-roomed and well appointed setting, The Whitney serves brunch, lunch and dinner and specializes in beef, fish, seafood, lamb and veal. Their award-winning wine cellar can provide the ideal complement and features a robust selection of Michigan wines.
Be sure to take to tour of The Whitney on their web site and you can also see their location on Absolute Michigan’s Map of Michigan.