Held each year in Grand Haven the Coast Guard Festival is a nationally recognized festival that honors and respects the men and women of the United States Coast Guard. The festival includes nightly entertainment at Waterfront Stadium, the popular ship tours, arts & crafts, downtown carnival, Kids Parade & Grand Parade, the World’s Largest Musical Fountain with spectacular fireworks and more. This year marks the 218th birthday of the United States Coast Guard and the 84th anniversary of the founding of the Grand Haven Coast Guard Festival, as we know it today.
During an average day, the U.S. Coast Guard will:
- Conduct 109 Search and Rescue Cases
- Save 10 lives
- Assist 192 people in distress
- Protect $2,791,841 in property
- Launch 396 small boat missions
- Launch 164 aircraft missions, logging 324 hours
- Board 144 vessels
- Interdict and rescue 14 illegal migrants
- Board 100 large vessels for port safety checks
- Service 135 aids to navigation
- Respond to 20 oil or hazardous chemical spills totaling 2,800 gallons
- Seize 169 pounds of marijuana and 306 pounds of cocaine worth $9,589,000
Check out this very cool Coast Guard Festival slideshow via flickr!
City of Grand Haven – Coast Guard City, USA