Russell A. Alger, Jr., (1773-1930) son of Michigan’s Governor Russell Alger and one of the founders of the Packard Motor Car Company, built this Italian Renaissance style mansion in 1910. Charles A. Platt of New York designed this elaborate structure, and Ellen Shipman of New York landscaped the grounds. The home is situated on Lake St. Clair and was referred to as “The Moorings.”
Alger lived here until his death in 1930. From 1936 to 1948, the house was used by the Detroit Institute of Arts as a branch museum. In 1949 it was deeded to the Grosse Pointe War Memorial Association in memory of those who served and died in the service of our nation and for facilitating the educational, cultural, and civic needs of the community.
More Michigan Historic Homes on Absolute Michigan.