Apparently, the long layoff from baseball has affected our bat speed, and we missed the opening of Spring Training 2009. In 2008, the Detroit Tigers dropped like a fly ball at a peewee game. They began the long climb back to the top last week with spring training at Joker Marchant Stadium in Lakeland, Florida.
Spring Training Schedule & Tickets
You can get the Tiger’s spring training schedule and tickets from Spring Training Online. We used to link to MLB.com for this but they decided to go after bloggers a couple years ago and we’re scared of them! The home opener is Wednesday and Justin Verlander has the start. As Roar of the Tigers reports in comic strip form, Justin also has a birthday … and a special surprise!
Meet your 2009 Detroit Tigers
Mack Avenue Tigers has decided to take on the fool’s errand of projecting the Tiger’s achilles heel bullpen. He also offers his thoughts on the Tigers rotation and likely batting order. Brian at Tigerblog.net weighs in on who he thinks will assume the mantle of fifth starter for the Bengals. Ian over at Bless You Boys went on his morning prowl and found some tasty morsels including Tiger prospects, Jack “I think I belong in the Hall of Fame” Morris and a little something about Adam Everett’s glove. At the Daily Fungo, Mike is profiling Tigers, wishing Tiger legends and happy birthday and also doing an interesting podcast.
Something went haywire with the 40-man roster page at Tigers Central but you can weigh in at their forums on all kinds of topics including your expections for the 2009 Tigers. Bob Wojnowski from the Detroit News thinks that while the quieter Tigers of 2009 have some promise, he’s not going to get all giddy … yet. The Freep takes a video look new Tiger left fielder Carlos Guillen.
Tigers on TV, Tigers on the Field
I think the MLB operatives have probably wandered off to check for steroids in the water cooler, so I’ll let you know that the Tigers will be featured in MLB TV’s 30 Clubs in 30 Days tonight at 8 PM. All 162 Tiger games in 2009 will be televised, mainly on FOX Sports Detroit, which will also show four spring training games on March 16, 19, 22 & 29. The Detroit Tigers 2009 Schedule has them opening away (at Atlanta on Friday, April 3) with the home opener on Tuesday, April 6 at 7:15 vs the Blue Jays. You can see more Tigers video from their web site and also
Lakeland, Joker Marchant Stadium, Tiger Town and Tiger Spring Training history
The Detroit Tigers began coming to Lakeland, Florida for Spring Training in 1934 and have been coming back every year, making for the longest lasting relationship between a Major League baseball team and a Spring Training host city. According to Lakeland’s page on Joker Marchant Stadium, “Joker” Marchant was the longtime and popular director of Lakeland’s Park and Recreational Department. When not hosting the Detroit Tigers, the stadium and Tiger Town complex are the home of the Lakeland Flying Tigers, the High-A affiliate of the Detroit Tigers. Also see the google map of Tiger Town and check out Ballpark Digest’s visit to the Joker Marchant!
Get your Tiger on with these Bengal bookmarks…
- Mack Avenue Tigers, Detroit Tigers Weblog, TigerBlog.net, Roar of the Tigers, Bless You Boys and The Daily Fungo are all excellent Detroit Tigers blogs
- If you’re looking to talk it up with other Tiger fans, check out TigersCentral.com (great history there too!) and MotownSports.com’s Tiger Board
- The Tigers official web site through MLB always has great photos and video
- Photos: Keep an eye on Detroit Tiger photos at Michigan in Pictures, the Detroit Tigers photo group and recent photos tagged with “detroit tigers”.
- Even MORE photos: the photostream of MLB photographer Emily Smith!
- Absolute Michigan keyword “tigers” has a bunch more Detroit Tigers stories & links.
- Got another link? Add it below! Also, if you go to spring training or come across any stories we miss, please post a comment below!