TED is a nonprofit devoted to Ideas Worth Spreading. It started out in 1984 as a conference bringing together people from three worlds: Technology, Entertainment, Design. Since then its scope has become ever broader and has branched to include TEDx.
TEDx was created to give communities, organizations and individuals the opportunity to stimulate relevant dialogue through TED-like experiences at the local level. These events are fully planned and coordinated independently, on a community-by-community basis.
The heart of TED and TEDx are talks by leaders in their field about the subject of their passion. The thousands of talks online feature some of the best thinking about who we are and where we’re going that you will find anywhere. The TEDxTalks are available on YouTube, and every Tuesday (or so) we’ll feature talks from TEDx events in Michigan that deal with some of the specific issues we’re facing. Find them at TEDxMichigan on Absolute Michigan!
For an idea about the scope, here’s a listing of upcoming and past TEDx events in Michigan. Bear in mind that admission to these events is highly coveted, so if you are interested in attending, get engaged as soon as you can!
Below the listing we have the first of our videos. It’s from last year’s TEDxGrandRapids and features Sheryl Connelly, manager of Global Trends and Futuring at Ford Motor Company talking about how to think like a futurist, and also how to get the most out of TEDx.
- TEDxSkylineHS – March 24th, 2012
- TEDxUofM – March 29th, 2012
- TEDxLansing – April 13, 2012
- TEDxGrandRapids – May 10, 2012
- TEDxTraverseCity – May 16, 2012
- TEDxDetroit – September 2012
- TEDxSaugatuck – August 30, 2012
- TEDxAlpena – September 12, 2012
- TEDxAlvaPark – November 8, 2012 (Innovation Institute at Henry Ford Henry Ford Hospital)
- TEDxFlint – November 10, 2012
- TEDx Macatawa – March 8, 2012