Yesterday the last of Tiger Stadium was taken down. For more than 100 years, Michigan & Trumbull aka “The Corner” was the address of Tiger baseball, home to greats from Cobb, Greenberg & Kaline to Gibson, Trammel & Whitaker.
Last night Absolute Michigan pool photographer Ken Jacoby said “I want you to do a post tomorrow titled “Tiger Stadium is no more” and it was funny to see the coincidentally titled Tiger Stadium is no more in this morning’s Freep. Check it out for a cool video by Marcin Szczpanski of the final demolition.
On Absolute Michigan & Michigan in Pictures we’ve done a lot of posts about the old ballpark. Some of my favorites:
- Tiger Stadium at the Corner of Michigan & Trumbull
- Tiger Stadium, in Pictures
- What Will Happen to Tiger Stadium?
- A belated 97th birthday tribute to “The Corner” which features a song by Ben Hassenger
- and Photo Friday: At the old ball game… by kcjacoby which is the gateway to a ton of photos taken by members of Exposure.Detroit who were lucky enough to take a tour of the stadium two years ago.
You can get some more Tiger Stadium posts at Michigan in Pictures and also check out the Tiger Stadium slideshow from the Absolute Michigan pool.
YouTube has some nice videos including Talkin’ Baseball: Tiger Stadium, Last Game at Tiger Stadium, and Ernie Harwell’s memories of Tiger Stadium. Here’s Jeff Daniels doing the Tiger Stadium segment from The Story of America’s Classic Ballparks: